January’s theme was the color yellow and it was a bright, sunny color to open the new year of stories.
These are the stories our editors especially liked, and what they had to say about them.
Mystery Monday Editors’ Picks
- “Magpie Boy” (Beka Gremikova) – Beautifully written and haunting tale of a young girl struggling to move on after the loss of her sister and a precocious young ghost.
- “Face the Music” (Noah Litle) – Loved the authors vivid imagery and descriptions in this story, and the theme of trying to break free from perfectionism.
Techno Tuesday Editors’ Picks
- “The Hologram Hypothesis” (Pamela Love) is a smart, sharp, chilling story about groundbreaking science and unintended consequences.
- “Down Memory Stain” (A. M. Reynwood) is touching and sinister in all the right ways. Murder, aliens, and a visit to Grandpa’s house. What could go wrong?
Wacky Wednesday Editors’ Picks
- “Mustard Maid” (Cassandra Hamm) —Horrible bridesmaid dress or magical battle armor? Hamm tell a side-splitting tale that combines wedding wisecracks with sci-fi intrigue. This is one ceremony you don’t want to miss.
- “Dances With Werewolves” (Krysta Tawlks) —A quirky narrator (who thinks much too highly of himself) gets a lesson in bravery and humility when he must make a dangerous journey to recover his mother’s missing amulet. Hilarious story with a big dose of heart.
Thriller Thursday Editors’ Picks
- “Abiral’s Goblet” (Cassandra Hamm) – We were quickly captivated by how much worldbuilding this story packs into a small scene, as well as the complicated relationship between its two main characters.
- “Beware the Man of Straw” (Jim Doran) – A field of gently rustling stalks, a hasty bio break . . . what could possibly go wrong? Plenty, in this self-aware thriller-horror piece. Snappy dialogue and a landscape steeped in suspense make “Beware Said the Man of Straw” an absolute delight. Don’t let the wheat swallow you on your way in.
Fantasy Friday Editors’ Picks
- “Mistaken Identity” (Lindsi McIntyre) starts off as an ordinary story of a dragon’s quest for gold, but a twist turns it into a hilarious, sweet story that’s sure to bring a smile to your day!
- “Prince of Bees” (Beka Gremikova) proves that discretion truly is the better part of valor! Prince Ivan’s kindness brings such a sweet truth to this high-stakes, riddle-solving story.
Stay tuned next month for February’s faves!