Havok provides sharp, memorable fiction under 1,000 words. We want stories that hit fast and strike hard––stories that, no matter the genre, can cut through the day’s troubles and grip distracted readers. And there’s no quicker way to get your masterpiece rejected than to ignore our submission guidelines. So read through the following information and be sure to follow it to the letter. Or else…
- Your well-edited story should be between 300 and 1,000 words long.
- We only accept stories that fit our daily genres (mystery, science fiction, comedy, thriller, fantasy) and Season Themes. Check ’em out. The themes function as story prompts that will help us together craft story collections that readers will love.
WE DO NOT PUBLISH:
- Previously published flash fiction
- Scenes/excerpts/synopses from novels
- Excessive violence, profanity, or erotica in any form. These stories are going on the internet. And the internet is gross enough already.
- Conversely, we don’t want thinly veiled stories that preach from a soapbox of any sort, whether political, religious, or otherwise. Again, the internet is gross enough already.
FLASH FICTION RESOURCE & SAMPLE STORIES: The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Fiction is a great place to learn the fundamentals and intricacies of flash fiction if you’re new to the genre. Also, we encourage you to peruse our story sample and (after January 1, 2019) daily free story so you can get a feel for the type of well-written flash fiction we typically publish.
- We only accept email submissions with attached MS Word docs unless special arrangements have been made.
- We only accept submissions within our Accepted Genres (mystery, scifi, comedy, thriller, and fantasy) that fit our Season Themes. If a story that doesn’t fit the theme is submitted, that story will be unceremoniously rejected. Hard.
- Review our Manuscript & Email Formatting Guidelines carefully for instructions on how to format your story (we provide a downloadable MS Word template to make it easy).
- Send your properly formatted story to email@example.com.
IMPORTANT: Add @gohavok.com to your allowed senders list, or our reply may go to your junk/spam email folder.
Once submissions for a Season Theme are opened, we review and acquire submitted stories continuously until we acquire all stories for each month. Because of this, you can expect to receive a response in less than four weeks, possibly sooner. Once all days in a given month have been acquired, submissions for that month will be closed. Please check the website before submitting to make sure submissions are still open for your target Theme.
There is never a fee to submit your stories to Havok.
Before You Submit
Double check to make sure you’re fulfilling all guidelines. If you don’t, we won’t read your story until you resend it in the prescribed format. Srsly.
Please see our Season Themes page for the theme schedule, including when submissions open and if the current theme has closed for submissions.
Should we select one of your works for publication, we will notify you via email. If you don’t hear from us within four weeks after your submission, feel free to follow up.
Thank you for your interest in Havok. Please contact us with any questions or submissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.